Monday, August 16, 2010

About Time?

I just did a new thing . . . 2+ years after "neuroblastoma" was added to my vocabulary, I finally added it to my computer's dictionary.  For 2 years and nearly 2 months, every time I typed that word, it appeared with red squiggles underneath it . . . which was ok.  After all, "IT" doesn't belong.  It is wrong, in a way far worse that mere misspelling.  But perhaps it's a stage of acknowledgement, that we will, after all, have to walk along with this intruder for some time to come, that its marrings it leaves behind may perhaps be with our boy forever.  It's not "giving up" or "giving in", but maybe just grudging acknowledgment that this enemy (to personify a mere disease, something I shrink from doing, but merely for a figure of speech . . . ) is one that we will dig our trenches down and fight, perhaps for some time to come.  So, ok, I'll add "you" to my dictionary, if merely because I do hate those red squiggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment